Call for a Consultation (602) 200-7399


What is IRS Notice CP11, and What Should I Do if I Get One?

Posted by Brandon Keim | Oct 13, 2021 | 0 Comments

Mistakes happen. Unfortunately, sometimes they happen when we pay our taxes. Entering transposed numbers, reading the wrong line from a form, or simple addition errors can all cause inadvertent errors on your tax return. After the IRS receives your return, they use a combination of random sampling, computer verification, and comparing your submitted information to information submitted by your employer and financial institutions to verify the data entered on your return. If they find an error, you may receive a CP11 Notice from the IRS.

What is a CP11 Notice from the IRS?

The IRS issues a CP11 notice to notify you that it adjusted your tax return, and you now have a balance due. The IRS typically does this when they believe you have miscalculated something on your tax return. 

What Should You Do Next?

When you receive a CP11 notice, you should read it carefully to see where the IRS recalculated your return. You then have a couple of options:

  • If you agree with the IRS's changes, you can correct your copy of your tax return and keep it in your records. Then, you can pay the amount due with the coupon enclosed by the IRS.
  • If you agree with the IRS, but you can't pay the amount due in full, you can contact the IRS to set up a payment plan. However, the IRS will assess penalties and interest if you don't pay in full by the date included on the CP11 notice.
  • If you don't agree with the IRS changes, you should contact an experienced tax attorney right away. You and your attorney must notify the IRS of your dispute within 60 days of the date on the CP11 notice.

If you don't notify the IRS within 60 days and don't pay, your account could end up in collections, and you could face additional interest and penalties. 

Hire a Skilled Tax Attorney

If you've received a CP11 notice from the IRS notifying you of changes to your tax return and a balance due, this isn't something you should try to figure out on your own. A CP11 notice, particularly if you don't agree with the IRS's changes, can affect any tax audits or appeals that you're currently involved in. You need experienced tax guidance and advice as soon as possible. If you need help, call Senior Partner, Tax Controversy Attorney, and former IRS attorney Brandon A. Keim at (602) 200-7399 or contact him online to discuss your options.

About the Author

Brandon Keim

A Certified Tax Law Specialist, CPA, partner at Frazer Ryan Goldberg & Arnold LLP, and former Senior IRS Trial Attorney, Brandon Keim holds an LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.

The act of visiting or communicating with Brandon A. Keim via this website or by email does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Communications from non-clients via this website are not subject to client confidentiality or attorney-client privilege. Further, the articles, discussion, commentary, forms and sample documentation contained in this website are offered as general guidance only and are not to be relied upon as specific legal advice. For legal advice on a specific matter, please consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable and experienced in that area. Attorneys listed in this website practice only in the jurisdictions in which they are admitted. This website is governed by the Arizona Rules of Professional Conduct.