Call for a Consultation (602) 200-7399


What is an IRS CP23 Notice? What should You Do if You Get One?

Posted by Brandon Keim | Oct 14, 2021 | 0 Comments

When the IRS thinks you've made a mistake on your tax return or made a mistake when making a tax payment, it can be frustrating to get a notice in the mail. However, it's important to remember that the IRS isn't always correct either. If you get a CP23 Notice telling you that you have a balance due on your tax payments, it's important to ensure that your return is correct. A skilled tax attorney can help you sort all of it out and ensure that you don't overpay.

What is a CP23 Notice from the IRS?

The IRS issues Notice CP23 to let you know that the estimated tax payments received by the IRS and the amount due on your tax return don't match, leaving a balance due. The notice may also include information from the IRS on changes made to your tax return.

What Should You Do Next?

If you receive a CP23 Notice from the IRS, you should review the notice very carefully. Pull out your tax return and supporting documentation and look for any changes made by the IRS to your return or calculations. If you agree with the changes, you can pay the IRS with the enclosed coupon or online. If you agree with the changes, but you can't pay the entire balance due right away, you can contact the IRS and see if you can set up a payment plan. However, you may also owe interest and penalties if you can't pay the entire balance by the date indicated in the CP23 Notice.

If you don't agree with the CP23 Notice, or if you aren't sure, you need to contact an experienced tax attorney right away. A tax attorney can help you determine the best course of action and whether you need to file an amended return or provide the IRS with more documentation. Whatever you decide, you and your attorney must notify the IRS of your disagreement within 60 days from the date on your CP23 Notice.

Hire a Skilled Tax Attorney

If you've received a CP23 notice from the IRS notifying you of a balance due on your tax payments, don't try to navigate the IRS bureaucracy on your own. It's time to hire an experienced tax professional to guide you. If you need help, call Senior Partner, Tax Controversy Attorney, and former IRS attorney Brandon A. Keim at (602) 200-7399 or contact him online to discuss your options.

About the Author

Brandon Keim

A Certified Tax Law Specialist, CPA, partner at Frazer Ryan Goldberg & Arnold LLP, and former Senior IRS Trial Attorney, Brandon Keim holds an LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.

The act of visiting or communicating with Brandon A. Keim via this website or by email does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Communications from non-clients via this website are not subject to client confidentiality or attorney-client privilege. Further, the articles, discussion, commentary, forms and sample documentation contained in this website are offered as general guidance only and are not to be relied upon as specific legal advice. For legal advice on a specific matter, please consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable and experienced in that area. Attorneys listed in this website practice only in the jurisdictions in which they are admitted. This website is governed by the Arizona Rules of Professional Conduct.